"First Coin Machine Used By the U.S. Mint" Souvenir Concession

March 1, 1901 Expostion Grounds viewed from Service Building, showing the Coin Machine building complete in the snow.

Looking along the Midway

The coin concession was near the Scenic Railway ride.

Image of press, whose contour is visible in the photo above. Source: internet. On display at the Franklin Institute, Philadelphia

Text of a card given out at this concession:

This is the Press that Coins the Souvenir Medals

This quaint, interesting old coinage press, now on exhibition, was built in 1836 by Merrick, Agnew & Tyler, Philadelphia, and by them installed in the United States Mint in that city, where it was in continuous operation, striking gold, silver and copper coins until 1874. It was exhibited at the Centennial Exposition, at Philadelphia, in 1876, and at the World's Fair, in Chicago, in 1893, where it attracted much attention because of its historic value, representing as it does, an era in the coinage sytem of our country, being the first steam power coinage press ever used in the mint.

The souvenirs struck by this press consist of the small "Lord's Prayer" Medal, and a Pan-American Medal bearing the Electric Tower on one side, and the Beck design, representing the unity of North and South America, on the reverse side. The former is very unique and interesting, as it is the smallest reproduction of the Lord's Prayer ever struck on metal. Both of these medals are made of a fine composition of metals, plated in gold, and make a very attractive souvenir, both as a keepsake and to wear as a charm, many being used for the latter purpose.

Prices: Gold Plated $.25; Sterling Silver (Lord's Prayer only) $.35; Solid Gold (14K) $2.50

Historic Coinage Press Co.
612 Prudential Bldg., Buffalo N.Y.

At the conclusion of the Exposition, almost everything was for sale. The disposition of smaller structures, which could easily be moved, was not included in the newspapers of the day as were details of the sale of larger buildings. And so The Buffalo History Museum was surprised and delighted to learn in April 1999 that a little building from the Exposition existed in West Seneca.

It was purchased by William Simon, a member of the Simon Brewing famly, and moved to the side yard of the family’s summer home on Clinton Street  in Gardenville. Several owners used it variously as a goat house or gazebo. Word was passed down from owner to owner that this was a relic from the Pan-American Exposition. In 1999, the Werner family, then current owners, contacted the Buffalo History Museum to ask if they would like to have it.

After identifying funding and planning for the move of the building in its delicate condition, Melissa Brown, the Museum's Pan-American Collections Handler at that time, supervised its transportation to the Museum. It was restored by experts to its original colors and appearance and now is on exhibit at the Forest Avenue Resource Center of the Buffalo History Museum.






Back to "Doing the Pan" Home