The Grange Building was sponsored by the New York State Grange, representing the national Grange organization, a fraternal agricultural organization founded in 1867. Also known as the Patrons of Husbandry, the organization's mission has been to foster cooperation among its members and promote the interests of farmers and their families in Congress and their respective state governments. In 1901, there were over 60,000 grange members in New York and 500,000 nationally.
The building, located near the Dairy Building and the livestock barns, was 40 feet by 40 feet with an ornamented porch at the front entrance. On the main floor there was a general assembly room of 26 feet by 39 feet, a ladies reception room, a gentlemen's smoking room, offices, a baggage checkroom, and toilet. There were 150 agricultural papers available for visitors to peruse, as well as post office facilities, and representatives of the Keese Information Agency under contract to assist visitors in obtaining lodgings in private homes, boarding houses and hotels.
The Grange Building was managed by 61-year old Mrs. Elizabeth Lord, State deputy of the New York State Grange and resident of Sinclairville, N.Y. In the History of the New York State Grange, 1873-1933, L.L. Allen remembered her service at the Exposition thus: "...her kindness and thoughtfulness in discharging her duties made many friends for the order she loved so devotedly."
New York State Grange Week began August 26. The National Grange had voted at its 1900 annual session to hold the 1901 annual session at the Pan-American Exposition, and so a second celebration, National Grange Day, was held October 10. By the end of the Exposition, the register in the Grange Building showed 36,000 visitors to the Grange Building.