The Michigan building was designed in the colonial style by Louis Kamper of Detroit. It was painted white, with fluted columns on three sides; the roof was shingled and stained green. Its dimensions were 100 by 81 feet. The cost of construction was $10,000. According to the report of the Pan-American Michigan Commision:
"As you entered the doors, you passed into a spacious hall, on either side of which, through wide arches, were the parlors; that on the right for ladies, the to the left for gentlemen. The ladies' parlor was artisitically furnished in light rattan furniture. Two writing desks contained stationery for hte visitor, and an upright piano, generous loaned by the Chase Bros. Piano Company, of Muskegon, afforded pleasure to the musician. The decoration of the room was a soft yellow, and it was hng with white lace curtains. The gentlemen's parlor was furnished in heavy mahogany and leather furniture. The walls were tinted a light green and the hangings were white.
"In the hall, the furniture was of waxed golden oak, with the exception of the tall grandfather's clock in mahogany. A massive fireplace and log here give an air of comfort to the entire floor.
"The Secretary's office, the postoffice, the check room and two toilet rooms completed the lower floor.
"At the rear of the hall, a flight of stairs rose to the second floor, separating from a landing to the right and left of the hall. A large arched window, hung in red, flooded the whole building with light.
"Above, on the second floor, the hall was spacious and furnished in old Flemish oak. On the right was the writing room, furnished in mahogany, and on teh left the Commissioners' room, containing every convenience. Private apartments for the Secretary and his assistants were located on either side of the building on this floor.
"For the decoration of the building, the Commission was indebted to many Michigan artists, who, at the solicitation of Mr. A.H. Griffith freely loaned their work to beautify the structure...[a list of painting loaned followed]
Michigan Governor Bliss pointed out on the building's dedication day, June 10, that Michigan was the last state to make an appropriation for construction of a state building at the Exposition, but it was the first building completed, and it did so with all Michigan materials.
Upward of 35,000 Michiganders passed through the building during the Exposition. A staff of four maintained the building and assisted the visitors.
On November 5, 1901, the Buffalo Evening News reported that the Michigan building was sold to James Hurd for $500. It was dismantled and shipped to Lehighton, Pennsylvania, 86 miles northwest of Philadelphia, and reassembled for T. A. Snyder at 7th and Iron Streets. It burned April 4, 1916.